Three Sisters Soup
A true comfort recipe to warm you up year-round. Make it your own by using any vegetables or beans that you have on hand.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups diced summer or winter squash (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (fresh or frozen) or a 15-oz can (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked beans (any type) or a 15-oz can (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes or 2 cups diced fresh
- 3 cups low-sodium broth (any type)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add carrot and onion and saute until onions have begun to turn slightly brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, squash and corn and continue to stir for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, broth, cumin and pepper.
- Allow soup to come to a boil and then turn heat down to a simmer until all vegetables are tender to taste (15 to 30 minutes, depending on the vegetables used).
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service