Tomato and Garlic Omelet
Toasted garlic bread and mozzarella cheese combine with tomatoes and basil to give this easy omelet delicious, fresh flavor. Add a piece of fruit on the side to for a meal with food from each food group.
- 1/2 slice bread (whole wheat)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- cooking spray (as needed, nonstick)
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese (part skim, grated)
- 1 tomato (large, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried)
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Cut the bread into cubes; toss with oil and garlic in a small bowl. Spread the cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 15 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown, tossing once or twice. Transfer to a plate to cool.
3. Spray a medium pan with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour in egg substitute.
4. When the egg begins to set, spread evenly across the bottom of the pan and reduce the heat to low.
5. Once the top layer of egg is almost cooked, sprinkle the cheese and basil on top and scatter the tomatoes and bread over half of the omelet; fold the unfilled omelet half over the filling. Slide the omelet on a plate and serve.
California Department of Public Health, Network for a Healthy California