Tomato Basil Bruschetta
This delicious appetizer is a great way to use ripe tomatoes and basil from your garden. Serve with toasted bread on the side for a quick and delicious appetizer for your family or at your next get-together.
- 8 tomatoes (ripe, Roma plum, chopped)
- 2 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 6 basil leaves (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra-virgin)
- salt (optional, to taste)
- pepper (optional, to taste)
- 2 mini French bread (or Italian, cut into 1/2 inch diagonal slices)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil and olive oil in a bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional). Set aside.
3. Arrange bread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake about 5 to 7 minutes until it begins to brown slightly.
4. Remove bread from oven and transfer to a serving platter.
5. Serve the tomato mixture in a bowl with a serving spoon and let everyone help themselves. Or place some on each slice of bread before serving. If adding the tomato mixture yourself, add it at the last
minute or the bread may become soggy.
Healthy Eating Recipes
University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension