Tomato N' Cheese Pasta
Pasta and tomato sauce are topped with cheese and cooked in the oven.This recipe would double easily for dinner for a family of 4. Add a tossed salad for a hearty meal.
- 1 cup pasta, small whole grain (shell, penne, or ziti)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, unsalted (14.5 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup mozzarella, part-skim shredded
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
2. In a small saucepan, cook onion and garlic in oil until tender.
3. Stir in tomatoes, basil, oregano, sugar, and pepper.
4. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add pasta to sauce.
5. Transfer to a greased 1-quart baking dish. Top with cheeses.
6. Bake, uncovered at 375°F for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
University of Wyoming, Cent$ible Nutrition Program, Cooking For Your or Two p.96