Loaded with protein-packed tuna, nutritious veggies and fresh cooked pasta, this dish makes a delicious meal.
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti (or other pasta)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli (or zucchini)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1 can tuna, drained (6.5 ounces, packed in water)
- salt (to taste, optional)
- Parmesan cheese (2 Tablespoons, optional)
- pepper (to taste, optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook spaghetti according to package, drain.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pan over medium heat. Add onion and broccoli (or zucchini). Cook until softened.
- Stir in tomato-based pasta sauce. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add drained tuna into the sauce mixture. Stir just enough to heat the tuns.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (optional). Add cooked spaghetti to the sauce. Stir the pasta and sauce mixture until mixed together uniformly.
- Optional: Add 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese to cooked mixture of pasta and sauce.
- Serve hot.
Eating Smart, Being Active
Colorado State University and University of California at Davis