The green chile pepper adds delicious spice and flavor to this potato, corn, and summer squash stew.
- 3 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon (low sodium, cube)
- 2 cups white potatoes (cut into 2-inch strips)
- 2 cups carrot (sliced)
- 1 cup summer squash (cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 cup summer squash (cut into 4 chunks)
- 1 can sweet corn (15 ounces, rinsed and drained)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 green onion (stalk, chopped)
- 1/2 green chile pepper (small, chopped)
- 1 cup onion (coarsley chopped)
- 1 cup tomatoes (diced)
1. Put water and bouillon in large pot and bring to a boil.
2. Add potatoes and carrots and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except for tomatoes, and continue cooking for 15 minutes over medium heat.
4. Remove 4 chunks of squash and puree in blender.
5. Return pureed mixture to pot and let cook for 10 minutes more.
6. Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes to allow stew to thicken.
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style