The green chili pepper adds delicious spice and flavor to this potato, corn, and summer squash stew.
- 3 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon (low sodium, cube)
- 2 cups white potatoes (cut into 2-inch strips)
- 2 cups carrot (sliced)
- 4 cups summer squash (cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 cup summer squash (cut into 4 chunks)
- 1 can sweet corn, 15 ounces, rinsed and drained (or 2 ears of fresh corn, cut off the cob)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 green onion (stalk, chopped)
- 1/2 green chili pepper (small, chopped)
- 1 cup onion (coarsley chopped)
- 1 cup tomatoes (diced)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Put water and bouillon in large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and carrots and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for tomatoes, and continue cooking for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove 4 chunks of squash and puree in blender.
- Return pureed mixture to pot and let cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes to allow stew to thicken.
Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute