This dish, full of veggies and cheese, is made with whole wheat tortillas. Top with salsa and use whatever veggies you have on hand.
- cooking oil spray
- 1 small zucchini (small, washed and chopped)
- 1/2 broccoli head (washed and chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (washed, seeded and chopped)
- 1 onion (medium, peeled and chopped)
- 1 carrot (scrubbed and shredded)
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (10-inch)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded low-fat)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Spray pan with cooking oil spray.
- Cook vegetables on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from pan.
- Spray pan with cooking spray. Place tortilla in the pan. Sprinkle with half the vegetables and half of the cheese.
- Place the other tortilla on top. Cook on medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt and the bottom tortilla starts to brown.
- Flip quesadilla. Cook for 4 minutes or until tortilla browns.
- Repeat steps 3-5.
- Cut each quesadilla in half. Serve with salsa.
- Try a variety of vegetables: eggplant, tomatoes, mushrooms, green beans, cauliflower, garlic, corn or spinach.
- Season with fresh herbs - parsley, basil, cilantro, oregano, or dill.
- Sprinkle dry herbs - Italian seasoning, chili powder, cumin, or your favorite.
- Top with your favorite spicy salsa.
Learn more about:
2009 Recipe Calendar
University of Maryland Extension
Food Supplement Nutrition Education Program