Whole Wheat Muffins
Start your day off with these whole wheat muffins topped with cinnamon and sugar. Make these ahead of time for a quick and easy breakfast.
- 1 cup flour (all purpose)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed, or white sugar)
- 1 cup milk, low-fat (1%)
- 2 egg
- 1 vanilla (1 teaspoon, optional)
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter (melted, or 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil or coat with non-stick spray the cups of a 12 cup muffin pan, or use paper muffin cups.
2. Mix together sugar and cinnamon for topping and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. In a glass or plastic liquid measuring cup, measure milk, then add eggs, vanilla (if using), and melted shortening or oil. Mix with a fork until egg is well combined with other ingredients.
4. Pour milk mixture over flour mixture and stir with a spoon, about 20 strokes, until flour is just moistened. Batter will be lumpy and thick.
5. Fill prepared muffin cups about 2/3 full with batter. Sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon/sugar topping over each muffin.
6. Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm. Leftovers may be frozen.