Help your preschooler eat well, be active, and grow up healthy!
Young children look to you as they learn, develop and grow healthy eating habits. Make every bite count.
Picky eating is typical for many preschoolers as they grow up and become more independent. Try the following tips to help with this behavior in a positive way:
- Your preschooler may not eat the exact amounts suggested every day. Try to balance the amounts over a few days or a week.
- Offer different foods from day to day. Encourage your child to choose from a variety of foods.
- Serve foods in small portions at scheduled meals and snacks.
- Your child may be unwilling to try new foods. Try serving a new food alongside a familiar food in the same meal. It may take up to a dozen tries for a child to accept a new food.
- Let your child help prepare meals. Children get excited about tasting items when they have been involved in the preparation.
Kitchen Helper Activities
Kids Food Critic Activity
Grocery Store Bingo
Phrases that Help and Hinder
Team Nutrition’s MyPlate E-books
Fruit and Vegetable Sorting Activity
Grains and Dairy Sorting Activity
Protein Foods Sorting Activity