Spicy Southern Barbecued Chicken
This recipe is spiced up using cayenne pepper, ginger, and garlic combined with the sweetness of honey, molassess, and ketchup to create a tasty comfort food.
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/3 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken (skinless breasts, drumsticks)
1. Combine all ingredients except chicken in saucepan.
2. Simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Place chicken on large platter and brush with half the sauce mixture.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
5. Remove plastic wrap from chicken. Place chicken on baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil for 10 minutes on each side to seal in juices.
6. Remove from broiler and add remaining sauce to chicken. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style