Tofu, Tomato and Spinach Soup
This vegetable and tofu soup is a delicious way to end your day. You can use fresh or frozen spinach and top with cilantro for a satisfying soup.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 6 cups water (or low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1 package tofu, silken, firm or extra firm (14 ounce - patted dry and cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 green onions, chopped (3 stalks, optional)
- 4 cups spinach leaves, fresh (washed and dried, or 1- 10 ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cilantro leaves (1/4 cup, optional)
1. Heat a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat; add oil and chopped onion. Cook onion until softened, but not brown. Stir in garlic and cook just until fragrant.
2. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and tofu. Lower heat and simmer until tomatoes are soft but not mushy (this takes just a couple of minutes).
3. Stir in green onions (optional), spinach, ground pepper and cilantro. Cook just until spinach is wilted.
4. Remove from heat. Taste for seasoning. Serve hot.
Montana State University Extension Service
Nutrition Education Program