Tofu, Tomato and Spinach Soup
This vegetable and tofu soup is a delicious way to end your day. You can use fresh or frozen spinach and top with cilantro for a satisfying soup.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 6 cups water (or low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1 package tofu, silken, firm or extra firm (14 ounce - patted dry and cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 green onions, chopped (3 stalks, optional)
- 4 cups spinach leaves, fresh (washed and dried, or 1- 10 ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cilantro leaves (1/4 cup, optional)
1. Heat a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat; add oil and chopped onion. Cook onion until softened, but not brown. Stir in garlic and cook just until fragrant.
2. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and tofu. Lower heat and simmer until tomatoes are soft but not mushy (this takes just a couple of minutes).
3. Stir in green onions (optional), spinach, ground pepper and cilantro. Cook just until spinach is wilted.
4. Remove from heat. Taste for seasoning. Serve hot.