Zingy Lemon Chicken Pasta
This creamy pasta dish with a hint of lemon is sure to be a family favorite. Packed with chicken and topped with crunchy almonds, it can be baked and ready to serve any night of the week.
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon tub margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into 3/4-inch pieces)
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 1 clove large garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or scallions
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and cayenne in a saucepan; gradually add chicken broth and skim milk, stirring with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add mustard and lemon juice. Allow to cool.
- Heat margarine and oil in a skillet. Add chicken pieces, green onions and garlic. Sauté until chicken is just firm and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions and drain. Combine sauce, chicken and pasta mixture.
- Put into a 2 ½-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle top with almonds, chopped chives and paprika (if using).
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with steamed broccoli, skim milk, apple slices.
The "Grain Chain," a group of MyPlate National Strategic Partners committed to promoting and supporting grains, offers a series of recipes featuring whole grains. Members include American Bakers Association, Wheat Food Council, Grains Food Foundation, National Pasta Association, USA Rice Federation, General Mills, and Kellogg's.