Chicken Pozole Soup
This traditional Mexican soup has a deep flavor using a whole chicken. Hominy can be found in the canned food aisle of the grocery store.
- 1 chicken (whole, skinned and cut into pieces)
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon chili powder (1/4 cup)
- 8 cans tomato sauce (8 ounce)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 2 cups canned hominy, white or yellow (2 - 15 ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce (shredded)
- 6 lime wedges
1. Put chicken pieces in a large pot and cover with the 8 cups of water. Simmer over medium heat for 1 hour.
2. Add the chopped onion, pepper, chili powder, tomato sauce, and oregano to simmering chicken.
3. After the chicken is thoroughly cooked take the pieces out of the pot and remove most of the bones from the chicken and the pot.
4. Return chicken to the pot.
5. Add the rinsed hominy to the pot of chicken and simmer for another 45 minutes.
6. Serve with lettuce and a wedge of lime.
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service, Pictoral Recipes
Lynn Myers Steele, 2000
Oregon Family Nutrition Program