Five Happiness Fried Noodles
Enjoy carrots, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, bean sprouts, and green onions with fried noodles and a simple sauce.
- 10 cups water
- 1 pound egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oil, divided)
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup bamboo shoots (julienned sliced thinly in strips)
- 1/2 cup carrots (shredded)
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms (or about 1/2 cup, soaked, stems removed, and julienned)
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, reduced sodium
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large pot on high heat, bring 10 cups of water to boil. Cook noodles in boiling water until tender or “al-dente,” approximately 5 - 7 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick wok or pan over high heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon oil, swirling to coat the pan, add noodles and pan-fry until noodles are golden, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove noodles from wok.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to wok, add vegetables, and stir-fry until just cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Return noodles to the wok, add salt, sugar and soy sauce.
- Stir to combine and serve.
California Department of Social Services