Curtido Salvadoreno (Cabbage Salad)
This salad will make a great side dish for your next cookout.
- 1 head of cabbage (chopped)
- 2 carrot (small, grated)
- 1 onion (small)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
1. Blanch the cabbage with boiling water for 1 minute. Discard the water.
2. Place the cabbage in a large bowl and add grated carrots, sliced onion, red pepper, oregano, olive oil, salt, brown sugar, vinegar, and water.
3. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), Delicious Heart Healthy Latino Recipes/Platillos latinos sabrosos y saludables