Quick and Easy Potato Casserole
This potato dish packs lots of flavor with reduced-fat cheddar cheese, onions, Italian herb seasoning, and Dijon mustard.
- 3 1/2 Yukon Gold potatoes (very thinly sliced)
- 1 cup onion (quartered and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 cup stock or reduced-sodium broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- nonstick cooking spray
- Spray an 8-inch microwave-safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1/3 of the potatoes and 1/2 of the onions on the bottom of the dish and sprinkle with 1/3 the cheese and 1/2 the herbs.
- Repeat layers, then top with the last 1/3 of the potatoes, layering potatoes so that there is a solid layer of potatoes with no gaps; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Stir together stock, Dijon mustard, and garlic salt, and pour over the potatoes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH until internal temperature registers 165 °F on a food thermometer, about 20 minutes.
- Use oven mitts or a towel to remove dish from microwave; carefully remove cover due to steam build-up and serve.
- Use regular salt and a dash of garlic powder in place of garlic salt if you like.
- To make a Tex-Mex potato casserole, omit Dijon mustard and garlic salt. Layer potatoes with 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies and 1/2 cup canned black beans. Use reduced fat cheddar or Mexican cheese blend. Add 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon dried cilantro, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin to broth. Cook as directed above. Delicious served with avocado wedges.
Learn more about:
Meeting Your MyPlate Goals on a Budget
MyPlate National Strategic Partners Toolkit