Black Bean and Rice Salad
Full of protein, fiber, and flavor, this salad works well as a side dish or stands alone as a main dish. It can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated.
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (green or red, chopped)
- 1 cup brown rice (cooked and cooled)
- 1 can black beans, low-sodium (15 ounce, drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or white wine vinegar or lemon juice)
- mustard powder (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together onion, red or green pepper, rice, and beans.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, add vinegar, dry mustard, garlic, salt, pepper and vegetable oil. Shake until dressing is evenly mixed.
- Pour dressing over bean mixture and stir to mix evenly. Chill for at least one hour. Serve cold as a side dish or main dish.
Montana State University Extension Service
Nutrition Education Program