Black Bean and Rice Salad
Full of protein, fiber, and flavor, this salad works well as a side dish or stands alone as a main dish. It can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated.
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (green or red, chopped)
- 1 cup brown rice (or white rice, cooked and cooled)
- 1 can black beans (15 ounce, drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or white wine vinegar or lemon juice)
- 1/2 mustard powder (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together onion, red or green pepper, rice and beans.
3. In a jar with a tight fitting lid, add vinegar, dry mustard, garlic, salt, pepper and vegetable oil. Shake until dressing is evenly mixed.
4. Pour dressing over bean mixture and stir to mix evenly. Chill for at least one hour. Serve cold as a side dish or main dish.
Montana State University Extension Service
Nutrition Education Program