Black Skillet Beef with Greens and Red Potatoes
This is an easy, filling meal with carrots, kale, and potatoes that can be made in a single dish.
- 1 pound beef (top round)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard (dry)
- 8 potatoes (red-skinned, halved)
- 3 cups onions (finey chopped)
- 2 cups beef broth (reduced sodium)
- 2 garlic cloves (large, minced)
- 2 carrots (large, peeled, cut into very thin 2 1/2 inch strips)
- 4 cups kale (1 bunch)
- non-stick cooking spray
- Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across the grain into long strips 1/8 inch thick and 3 inches wide.
- Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with the spice mixture.
- Spray a large heavy skillet nonstick cooking spray. Preheat pan over high heat.
- Add meat; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onion, broth, and garlic. Cook covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, lay greens over top and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Serve in large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.
Stay Young at Heart: Cooking the Heart-Healthy Way
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute