Curried Quinoa and Cauliflower
This flavorful dish has protein, vegetables, dairy, and lots of herbs and spices.
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 head of cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds, trimmed and cut into small florets)
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt, low-fat (about 5 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup cashews, roasted without salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons green onion (scallion), chopped
- salt (pinch, optional)
- Cook quinoa until just tender, according to package directions.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add curry powder and cumin, and cook, about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Stir in broth and chopped garlic. Bring to a boil.
- Add cauliflower, cover, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 3 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and cook until cauliflower is just tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons broth from cauliflower fixture into yogurt in small bowl.
- Add yogurt mixture to cauliflower. Fold in quinoa, cashews, and cilantro.
- Sprinkle with green onion and top with a little fresh lime juice.
Optional: Season with a pinch of salt.
USDA Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)