Canned or puréed pumpkin adds a hearty and nutritious flavor to this savory chili recipe.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (cored, seeded and chopped )
- 2 jalapeño peppers (seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder )
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice, low-sodium
- 1 can pumpkin purée
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
- 1 can kidney beans, low-sodium (or other beans if desired)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, jalapenos and garlic and cook, stirring frequently until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add turkey and cook until browned.
- Add tomatoes, pumpkin, water, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low then add beans.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes more.
- Ladle chili into bowls and serve.
Bronson Wellness Center