Stuffed Bell Peppers
Peppers stuffed with a combination of ground beef, brown rice, veggies and spices create a filling dish. Try using red, green, yellow, and orange bell peppers for a colorful meal. Enjoy with a side of low-fat cottage cheese and canned pineapple.
- 5 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, or green)
- 1 pound ground beef, 90% lean
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes, low-sodium
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Cut a circular hole in the tops of the bell peppers. Remove seeds and membrane and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and stir until completely mixed. Fill the bell peppers with meat mixture.
3. Place the stuffed bell peppers in large stock pot on stove, with the tops facing up. Add 1-inch water to bottom of pot and cover.
4. Place heat on medium, keeping covered for 30-40 minutes until rice is done. Serve.
ONIE Project - Oklahoma Nutrition Information and Education