Hearty Beef Soup
This tasty and satisfying soup can be served for lunch or dinner. The leftovers can be frozen for later.
- 1/4 pound beef round roast, thawed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups winter squash, chopped (or 2 cups cabbage, finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup macaroni, dry
- 1 large tomato, chopped (or 1 can, about 15 ounces, low-sodium diced tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot, brown beef in oil over medium to high heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fat.
- Add water, squash, onion, celery, garlic, and oregano. If using parsley, add that too. Mix well.
- Bring pot to a boil. Lower heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add macaroni, tomatoes, green pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Keep cooking over low heat for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Tip for cooking beef roast: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for beef roast is 145 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.
A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods
USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations