Turkey and Cucumber Sandwich
These sandwiches, flavored with herbs and spices, are sure to hit the spot. With whole grains, lean protein, and dairy, this well-rounded, MyPlate meal will keep you satisfied all afternoon.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 slices enriched white bread
- 1/2 cup plain fat free yogurt
- 2 fresh dill sprigs (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cucumbers, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces turkey breast, thinly sliced (or you can use fat free, low-sodium deli turkey)
- Additional cucumber slices, as desired
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Mix the yogurt, dill, onion, pepper and chopped cucumbers.
- Divide the yogurt/cucumber mixture on all 8 slices of bread.
- Top the whole wheat bread with turkey and cucumber slices.
- Cover with the white bread slices.
The "Grain Chain," a group of MyPlate National Strategic Partners committed to promoting and supporting grains, offers a series of recipes featuring whole grains. Members include American Bakers Association, Wheat Food Council, Grains Food Foundation, National Pasta Association, USA Rice Federation, General Mills, and Kellogg's.