Vidalia Onion and Tomato Salad with Grilled Tuna
Sweet Vidalia onions come into season in mid-April. Pair them with tomatoes for this light summer salad that's topped with grilled ahi tuna. Perfect for a backyard luncheon.
- 1/2 pound ahi (yellowfin) tuna steak (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 large head lettuce (Boston, Romaine or Bibb) (washed, dried, and torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh or bottled
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- Heat grill.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cut tuna into 1" chunks and skewer and place on two-three 3" skewers; brush lightly with olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill skewered tuna until fish is opaque and flakes with a fork (145 °F); remove from grill.
- In a large bowl, toss dressing with all vegetable ingredients. To serve, divide salad on four individual plates; top with tuna.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with an 8 oz. glass of non-fat milk and a slice of whole-grain bread.
Produce For Better Health Foundation