Mouth-Watering Oven-Fried Fish
This spicy and savory oven-fried fish will be a hit in your home. Enjoy it with seasonal vegetables and a side of your favorite fruit.
- 2 pounds fish fillets (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, 1%
- 1 teaspoon garlic (fresh, minced)
- 2 dashs hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup corn flakes (crumbled or regular bread crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lemon (fresh, cut in wedges)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 475ºF.
- Clean and rinse fish. Wipe fillets with lemon juice and pat dry.
- Combine milk, hot sauce, and garlic.
- Combine pepper, salt, and onion powder with crumbs and place on plate.
- Let fillets sit briefly in milk. Remove and coat fillets on both sides with seasoned crumbs. Let stand briefly until coating sticks to each side of fish.
- Arrange on lightly oiled shallow baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes on middle rack without turning.
- Cut into 6 pieces. Serve with fresh lemon.
*Atlantic cod and low fat buttermilk (1%) used for nutritional analysis.
May substitute black pepper for white pepper.
Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute