Mouth-Watering Oven-Fried Fish
This spicy and savory oven-fried fish will be a hit in your home. Enjoy it with seasonal vegetables and a side of your favorite fruit.
- 2 pounds fish fillets (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, 1%
- 1 teaspoon garlic (fresh, minced)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup corn flakes (crumbled or regular bread crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lemon (fresh, cut in wedges)
1. Preheat oven to 475 F .
2. Clean and rinse fish. Wipe fillets with lemon juice and pat dry.
3. Combine milk, hot sauce, and garlic.
4. Combine pepper, salt, and onion powder with crumbs and place on plate.
5. Let fillets sit briefly in milk. Remove and coat fillets on both sides with seasoned crumbs. Let stand briefly until coating sticks to each side of fish.
6. Arrange on lightly oiled shallow baking dish.
7. Bake for 20 minutes on middle rack without turning.
8. Cut into 6 pieces. Serve with fresh lemon.
*Atlantic cod and low fat buttermilk (1%) used for nutritional analysis.
May substitute black pepper for white pepper.
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style