Bulgur Chickpea Salad
This salad is a great way to add some healthy grains, fruits, vegetables, and garbanzo beans to your meal.
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup bulgur (coarse)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/3 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, reduced sodium
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped (green onions)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup carrot (chopped)
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, low-sodium (garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, reduced sodium
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- black pepper (optional, to taste)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Bring water to boil in medium saucepan. Stir in bulgur, parsley, minced onion, and soy sauce. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 15-20 minutes (until all water is absorbed and bulgur is not too crunchy). Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool; fluff with fork.
- Combine dressing ingredients; stir well. Pour over bulgur mixture and mix well.
- Stir in scallions, raisins, carrots, and chickpeas. Cover and chill for several hours. Store in refrigerator.
Making It Fit: Piecing Together Your Food Needs
University of Vermont Extension