Chicken Soup with Chiles
Flavorful and filling, this soup is packed with protein making it a full meal. Add extra chiles or a dash of red pepper flakes if you like a spicier soup.
- 3 pounds chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 cups tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup mild chiles (canned and diced)
- 2 cups pinto or garbanzo beans, canned, drained or cooked and drained
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place chicken pieces in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover.
- Cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces from the broth.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chiles.
- Remove chicken meat from the bones and return meat to broth.
- Add beans and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
University of Massachusetts, Extension Nutrition Education Program, Pumpkin Post/Banana Beat