Flavors abound in this chicken, veggie, and rice dish! This recipe makes 12 servings, which will provide you with plenty of tasty leftovers the next day!
- 2 pounds cooked meat, cut into 1-inch cubes (use chicken, bacon, shrimp, or smoked pork)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, yellow (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup green peppers (finely chopped)
- ground ginger (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
- 1 can whole tomatoes, low-sodium (14.5 ounces)
- 2 cans tomato paste, low-sodium (6 ounces each)
- 8 cups water (2 quarts)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Sauté cooked meat in oil until slightly brown.
- In a large kettle, sauté yellow onion, green pepper, and ginger in vegetable oil until onions are soft.
- Add whole tomatoes and simmer for five minutes.
- Add tomato paste, 2 quarts water, salt, black pepper, thyme, and red pepper.
- Add cooked meat, simmer 20 minutes longer.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, cook rice in 5 cups of chicken stock and water until tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the rice in a deep bowl and arrange the meat in the center.
North Dakota Food and Culture: A Taste of World Cuisine
North Dakota State University Extension Service