Lentils, carrots, and tomatoes are a savory and satisfying combination in this delicious and easy to prepare stew. Enjoy with a side of your favorite citrus fruit.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 10-ounce packages of frozen sliced carrots
- 1 cup dry lentils (rinsed and drained)
- 3 cans diced tomatoes, low-sodium (14.5 ounces each)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion.
- Cook for 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in garlic powder, carrots, lentils, tomatoes, water, and chili powder.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
2009 Recipe Calendar
University of Maryland Extension
Food Supplement Nutrition Education Program