Italian Bean Soup
Three beans combine with savory vegetables in a rich, tomato-based broth for this Italian Bean Soup. Served with a whole wheat roll, this recipe makes a satisfying and wholesome lunch or dinner.
- 1 can great northern beans (15 ounce)
- 1 can red kidney beans (15 ounce)
- 2 cans pinto beans (15 ounce)
- 46 us fluid ounces tomato juice (or V-8 juice)
- 1 can Italian style or stewed tomatoes (15 ounce, low sodium)
- 1 can vegetable broth, low-sodium (15 ounce)
- 1 can green beans (15 ounce, drained)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic clove (fresh)
1. In a large pot, combine all ingredients.
2. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Serve with Italian or French bread or whole-wheat rolls.
Choices: Steps Toward Health
University of Massachusetts
Extension Nutrition Education Program