Macaroni & Cheese with Broccoli
Broccoli gives flavor, texture, and nutrients to this creamy spin-off of the traditional mac and cheese dish. Try this with roasted squash or sweet potatoes in the fall or winter, roasted beets in the spring, or a tomato salad in the summer for a meal with tasty seasonal veggies!
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk (1%, low fat)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, low-fat shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups broccoli (cooked and chopped)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook macaroni, following the instructions on the package.
- Drain the cooked macaroni and return to the pan.
- While the macaroni is still warm, sprinkle in the flour and stir thoroughly.
- Over medium heat, slowly stir the milk into the macaroni.
- Add the cheese and pepper.
- Stir over medium heat until the milk and cheese thicken into a creamy sauce, approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli; heat thoroughly.
- Taste; add a small amount of salt, if needed.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Fresh or frozen broccoli can be used
Learn more about broccoli.
Colorado State University and University of California at Davis.
Eating Smart Being Active Recipes.