Microwave Cauliflower and Peas in Cream Sauce
Prepare cauliflower, peas, and onion in a flavorful cream sauce without even turning on your stove.
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 tablespoon flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup milk (skim)
- 1 pimiento (1 tablespoon, chopped, optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon bouillon granules (instant chicken)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine cauliflower, peas and water in a 1-quart casserole. Cover. Microwave at High 6 to 8 minutes, or until fork tender, stirring after half the time. Let stand, covered.
- Place onion and butter or margarine in 2-cup measure. Microwave at High 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Stir in flour. Microwave a few seconds until flour mixture starts to bubble.
- Add remaining ingredients. Microwave at High 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until thickened, stirring every minute.
- Drain vegetables. (Freeze drained liquid for use in soups later.) Pour sauce over vegetables and stir to coat.
Options: Vegetables may be boiled or steamed and sauce prepared on top of a range if a microwave is not available.
Variations: Use other combinations of vegetables, such as green beans and cauliflower; broccoli and carrots; or peas and carrots.
Add lime as a garnish if desired.
Creative Vegetable Cookery
North Dakota State University Extension Service