Looking for a healthy, crunchy snack? This recipe is super simple and can be made in bulk in advance.
- 1 banana
- acidic fruit juice (lemon, lime, orange, pineapple) to reduce browning (optional)
- cinnamon or other flavorings (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Slice bananas into 1/8 to 1/4-inch slices.
- (Optional) Dip banana slices into fruit juice to reduce browning. Sprinkle with cinnamon or other flavorings if desired.
- Dry until pieces bend like thick leather and no longer feel sticky.
- Oven Instructions: Set oven to lowest temperature possible (175 to 200 °F). Use convection bake if available. Arrange banana slices in a single layer on a wire rack or baking sheet. A wire rack will help the banana dry faster. A baking sheet takes longer and pieces need to be turned part way through drying. Drying takes 1 to 3 hours.
- Dehydrator Instructions: Arrange banana slices in a single layer on dehydrator racks. Set dehydrator to 135 °F. Drying takes 6 to 12 hours.
5. Cool. Store in an airtight container or bag.
Learn more about:
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service