Mock Southern Sweet Potato Pie
Full of sweet potato flavor, this delicious pie will be a hit at your next holiday meal.
- 1 1/4 cups flour (all purpose)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup milk, non-fat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar (white)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 egg (large, beaten)
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk, non-fat (canned)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked, skin removed and mashed
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl.
- Add milk and oil to the flour mixture.
- Stir with fork until well mixed and then form pastry into a smooth ball with your hands.
- Roll the ball between two 12 inch squares of waxed paper using short, brisk, strokes until pastry reaches edge of paper.
- Peel off top paper and invert crust into pie plate.
- Combine sugars, salt, spices and eggs.
- Add milk and vanilla. Stir.
- Add sweet potatoes and mix well.
- Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Cool and cut into 16 slices.
Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute