A hearty side dish that would go well with a flavorful fish recipe and a fresh green salad.
- 2 small potatoes (2 pounds, sliced thin)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup onion (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk, whole
1. Wash potatoes; peel and cut into thin slices.
2. Melt 1 Tablespoon of margarine in heavy, deep skillet. Remove skillet from heat; spread half of potato slices in skillet.
3. Cover potatoes with onions. Sprinkle half of flour and pepper over potato mixture.
4. Add remaining potato slices, flour and pepper. Cut 1 Tablespoon of margarine into small pieces and place on top of potato mixture.
5. Pour milk over potato mixture; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
USDA, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion (CNPP), Recipes and Tips for Healthy, Thrifty Meals, 2000