Easy Baked Acorn Squash
This sweet and nutty squash pairs well with meats and other main dishes.
- 2 acorn squashes
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or honey (can replace with 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper per squash half for a savory flavor)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Fill a baking pan with about 1/2 inch of water.
- Place the squash in the pan, flesh side up. If they are lopsided, slice the underside horizontally so the bottom sits flat on the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey (or ground pepper if you prefer a savory flavor) to each half and spread evenly across the flesh.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until flesh is tender.
- Serve as a side with meat or another main dish.
This recipe contains one or more ingredients considered to be traditional or indigenous to Native American communities in certain regions across North America.
Learn more about:
Recipe adapted from American Indian Health and Wellness Project