Bran Flake Raisin Muffins
Try these bran and whole wheat muffins for a quick and healthy start to your day.
- 1/2 cup flour, all-purpose
- 3/4 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups bran flake cereal with raisins
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 425 °F. Spray or grease the bottoms of a muffin tin.
- Put flour in a large bowl. Add salt, baking soda, and sugar. Mix well.
- Stir in the bran flake cereal. Mix well.
- Make a well in the center of mixture and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, and oil together.
- Pour the egg mixture into the well of the cereal mixture and stir until all ingredients are moist. Do not over mix.
- Fill the tins 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- If not eaten right away, wrap the baked muffins in foil or a plastic bag and store in the freezer. Thaw for 15 seconds in the microwave or overnight in the refrigerator.
Substitute for buttermilk: Add 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup milk.
Eating Smart, Being Active
Colorado State University and University of California at Davis