This quick one skillet casserole dish of beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, and oregano uses instant brown rice to reduce cooking time.
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1/2 green pepper (diced)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes, low-sodium
- 1 can black beans or beans of your choice (16 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice (instant, uncooked)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Sauté onion and green pepper in canola oil, in a large pan, until tender. Do not brown.
- Add tomatoes, beans (include liquid from both), oregano, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and cover.
- Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
Learn more about:
Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute