Broccoli Baked Potatoes
Use those broccoli stalks in this dish instead of throwing them away. This makes a delicious side, a hearty snack, or a light meal.
- 6 potatoes, medium
- 3 broccoli stalks
- 1/4 cup milk, 1%
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, low-fat shredded
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Scrub potatoes. Prick the skin with a fork in several places.
- Baked at 350 °F for 30 to 60 minutes, until soft, depending on size.
- Peel broccoli stems. Steam broccoli just until tender and chop into small pieces.
- Slices the potatoes in half. Scoop the insides into a bowl with the broccoli. Add milk, 3/4 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Mash together until the mixture is pale green with dark green flecks.
- Put the potato mixture into the potato skins and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Microwave to heat through.
Potatoes can be microwaved instead of baked. For instructions, see the recipe for Microwave Baked Potato.
Learn more about:
University of Maryland Cooperative Extension