New Orleans Red Beans
Spice up your week with these delicious New Orleans Red Beans. Season with hot sauce if desired.
- 1 pound red beans (dry)
- 8 cups water (2 quarts)
- 1 1/2 cups onions (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup green peppers (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons thyme (dried, crushed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans; rinse thoroughly.
- In a large pot combine beans, water, onion, celery, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and cook over low heat for about 1-1/2 hours until beans are tender. Stir. Mash beans against side of pan.
- Add green pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Cook, uncovered, over low heat until creamy (about 30 minutes). Remove bay leaves.
- Serve with hot cooked brown rice, if desired.
Stay Young at Heart: Cooking the Heart-Healthy Way
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute