Caribbean Pink Beans
Plantains, tomatoes, and onions come together to give this side dish a Caribbean flavor.
- 1 pound pinto beans (dry)
- 10 cups water
- 2 plantains (medium, finely chopped)
- 1 tomato (large, finely chopped)
- 1 red pepper (small, finely chopped)
- 1 white onion (medium, finely chopped)
- 3 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse and pick through the beans. Put the beans in a large pot and add 10 cups of water. Place the pot in the refrigerator and allow the beans to soak overnight.
- Cook the beans until they are soft. Add more water as needed while the beans are cooking.
- Add the plantains, tomato, pepper, onion, garlic, and salt. Continue cooking at low heat until the plantains are soft.
*Option: Serve with rice.
Stay Young at Heart: Cooking the Heart-Healthy Way
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute