Caribbean Pink Beans
Plantains, tomatoes, and onions come together to give this side dish a Caribbean flavor.
- 1 pound pinto beans (dry)
- 10 cups water
- 2 plantains (medium, finely chopped)
- 1 tomato (large, finely chopped)
- 1 red pepper (small, finely chopped)
- 1 white onion (medium, finely chopped)
- 3 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1. Rinse and pick through the beans. Put the beans in a large pot and add 10 cups of water. Place the pot in the refrigerator and allow the beans to soak overnight.
2. Cook the beans until they are soft. Add more water as needed while the beans are cooking.
3. Add the plantains, tomato, pepper, onion, garlic, and salt. Continue cooking at low heat until the plantains are soft.
Option: Serve with rice.
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), Stay Young at Heart: Cooking the Heart-Healthy Way