This red and golden whole grain dessert is a perfect balance of sweet apples and tart cranberries.
- 4 apple (cored and thinly sliced)
- 1 can cranberry sauce (14 ounce, whole)
- 2 tablespoons margarine (soft, melted)
- 1 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash apples, remove cores and slice thinly, keeping peel on.
3. In a bowl, combine the cranberries and apples. Pour into an 8x8 inch pan.
4. Combine melted margarine with oatmeal, brown sugar, and cinnamon until well blended. Sprinkle over apple/cranberry mixture.
5. Cover and bake for 15 minutes.
6. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes until the topping is crisp and brown.
7. Serve warm or cold.
University of Massachusetts, Extension Nutrition Education Program, Pumpkin Post/Banana Beat