Try this recipe with red beans or other varieties and serve this main dish with cooked brown rice and a green salad for a complete meal. To learn how to cook dried beans, check out our recipe Cooked Beans.
- 2 1/2 cups beans (dry, cooked)
- 1/2 cup celery (sliced)
- 1/2 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 can tomatoes (14.5 oz, with juice)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Cook celery, onion, and green pepper in vegetable oil in a large saucepan until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Break up large pieces of tomatoes. Add tomatoes and seasonings to vegetable mixture.
3. Bring to a boil. Add beans and return to a boil.
4. Cover and cook over low heat until flavors are blended and liquid is cooked away, about 30 minutes. Stir once and a while to prevent sticking.
Healthy Eating In Indian Country: Do You Weigh Too Much?
USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations