Easy Red Beans and Rice
This flavorful dish is traditionally eaten on Monday nights in many homes and uses dry beans, onion, pepper, and spices.
- cooking oil spray, as needed (non-stick)
- 1 onion (medium, peeled and chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (medium, washed, seeded and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, low-sodium (14.5 ounces each)
- 1 can kidney beans, low-sodium (15.5 oz, drained and rinsed)
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Spray skillet with cooking oil spray, if using.
- Cook onion and pepper over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic powder, tomatoes, and kidney beans.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
2009 Recipe Calendar
University of Maryland Extension
Food Supplement Nutrition Education Program