Garden Barley Soup
Break out the barley to make a comforting vegetable soup on a cold or rainy day.
- 46 us fluid ounces tomato juice
- 1 can beef broth (10.5 ounce)
- 1 cup barley (regular)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves (crushed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups zucchini (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tomato (medium, chopped)
- 1/2 cup green pepper (chopped)
1. In a Dutch oven or stock pot, combine tomato juice, beef broth, barley, sugar and seasonings. Bring to boil; reduce heat.
2. Cover; simmer 1 hour.
3. Add vegetables. Return to boil; reduce heat.
4. Cover; simmer 15-20 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
Wellness Ways Resource Book
University of Illinois Extension Service