Huevos Rancheros with Fresh Salsa
For breakfast, lunch, or dinner, this savory egg dish is fresh, healthy, and inexpensive.
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inch)
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- non-stick cooking spray
- 4 egg whites (medium)
- 4 eggs (medium)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 4 tablespoons cheese, shredded cheddar or monterey jack
- 2 cups fresh salsa
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly brush tortillas with oil on both sides and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until tortillas are crisp on the edges and starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray over medium heat.
- Drop 4 egg whites into skillet, then, break whole eggs over whites to make 4 separate servings.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until eggs are cooked.
- Place one egg on each tortilla shell and top each with 1 Tablespoon cheese.
- Place under the broiler for about 2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Spoon 1/2 cup fresh salsa around the edge of each shell.
Recipe for fresh salsa in included on this website.
California Department of Health Services, Discover the Secret to Healthy Living
California 5-a-Day—For Better Health! Campaign