Mixed Grain Bread
Using cornmeal, rye, and whole wheat flour gives this chewy and delicious bread a wonderful texture and flavor.
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (yellow)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water (boiling)
- 1 packet dry yeast (active)
- 1/4 cup water (warm 105 - 115 degrees)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 2 1/4 cups flour (all purpose)
1. Mix cornmeal, brown sugar, salt and oil with boiling water, cool to lukewarm (105 - 115 degrees).
2. Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water; stir into cornmeal mixture. Add whole wheat and rye flours and mix well. Stir in enough all purpose flour to make dough stiff enough to knead.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, turning oil top. Cover with clean towel; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
5. Punch dough down; turn onto clean surface. Cover with clean towel; let rest 10 minutes. Shape dough and place in greased 9 x 5 inch pan. Cover with clean towel; let rise until almost double, about 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cover with aluminum foil during baking if bread is browning too quickly. Remove bread from pan and cool on wire rack.