Okra and Greens
Spicy and flavorful, this is an amazing side dish that doubles easily. Double up and enjoy it with a crowd during the summer months when okra is in season.
- 1 onion (small, finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 6 cups greens (1 pound, shredded)
- 16 okra
- 4 chili peppers (finely chopped and crushed)
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup water
1. In a large heavy pan sauté onions in oil until golden brown.
2. Add remaining ingredients and about ¼ cup of water. Simmer over low heat, covered, until greens are tender.
3. Squeeze lemon juice before serving.
Ohio Commission on Minority Health Opening the Door to Good Health Cookbook,
Healthy Recipes from Around the World