These greens are delicious. They're especially wonderful in the cooler months when greens are easily found in your garden or market.
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 pound turkey breast, smoked, skinless
- 3 teaspoons hot pepper (freshly chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves (ground)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 scallion stalk (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 14 cups mustard greens, or turnip, collard, kale, or mixture (about 2 pounds)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Prepare greens by washing thoroughly and removing stems.
- Tear or slice leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Place all ingredients except greens into large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add greens to turkey stock. Cook 20-30 minutes until tender.
Learn more about:
Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute