A great way to try turnips. Full of vegetables and packed with flavor, turnip pancakes will satisfy audiences of all ages.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups grated turnip
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for cooking)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, pepper, egg, garlic, soy sauce, and water in a bowl until smooth.
- Stir in the turnip, carrot and green onion
- Heat half of oil in a large skillet over medium heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet). Pour about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake into skillet. Flatten with a fork into a 3-inch circle.
- Cook until edges look dry and bottom is golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn once. Cook until bottom is golden and crispy. Repeat with remaining batter, adding remaining oil as needed. Pancakes will be moist in the center.
- Combine dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with warm pancakes.
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service